Get Confidential Help 24/7
What if there was a single food that could repair your brain, liver and nervous system from alcohol abuse? What if there was a food that could regenerate and restore the damage caused to all of the bodily systems? There is such a miracle food, and it’s readily available, too: sea vegetables—also known as algae and seaweeds. They are among the most nutrient dense and surprisingly under-used food, yet they also can restore the body from alcohol abuse in seemingly miraculous ways.
The Health Benefits of Algae and Seaweeds
Algae and seaweeds are sea vegetables that can come from salt or fresh waters. They are considered one of the healthiest foods on the planet, and their nutritional value and medicinal benefits are astounding. There are thousands of species ranging from the single-celled microscopic to those the size of giant kelp.
Seaweeds are typically larger sea vegetables with roots, stems or leaves. They are classified as algae and there are more than 30 commonly eaten varieties. You may be more familiar with names such as kelp, dulse, wakame, kombu and nori. The more well-known microscopic algae without roots, stems or leaves are chlorella, spirulina and blue-green phytoplankton.
More than any other food on earth, these luscious sea veggies offer the broadest range of minerals. Also rich in essential amino acids, algae are the most potent form of protein on earth. They’re high in vitamins, fiber, chlorophyll and antioxidants, and are one of the highest vegetarian sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
There are many delicious recipes for cooking with sea veggies. By sprinkling them on as a seasoning, you can easily supplement your usual foods. They are also available in capsule form or a loose powder.
Here is what author Dr. Bernard Jensen, a nutrition expert with over 60 years of clinical experience, says about the countless health benefits of consuming algae regularly: Alga, according to Jensen, “assists in the repair of damaged genetic material in human cells, protecting our health and slowing down the aging process … When our DNA and RNA are in good repair and are able to function most efficiently, our bodies get rid of toxins and avoid disease. Cells are able to repair themselves and the energy level and vitality of the whole body is raised.”
How Heavy Alcohol Damages the Body and How Algae and Seaweed Restore It
Heavy alcohol use causes substantial nutritional deficiencies. When cells don’t have enough food nutrients, they cannot efficiently neutralize and excrete toxins or repair their damaging effects. Chronic nutritional depletion causes cells to accumulate all sorts of environmental toxins. These can include the fertilizers and pesticides in non-organic foods, food preservatives and additives, as well as the heavy metal mercury in seafood and various poisonous chemicals found in many personal hygiene products (lotions, deodorant, makeup, cologne, etc.). Algae can nourish, detoxify and restore the body’s cells, thereby correcting these nutritional deficiencies.
More specifically, sea vegetables can do the following for physical recovery from alcohol abuse:
- Regenerate cells and repair cellular damage
- Prevent aging and chronic disease
- Prevent cellular mutations that cause cancer
- Protect brain and nerve cells
- Increase energy levels
- Detoxify the liver and kidneys
- Alkalinize the blood and urine
- Improve cellular hydration
- Lower cholesterol
- Balance thyroid function
- Cleanse the body’s cells from heavy metals, environmental pollutants and carcinogens
- Reduce inflammation
- Control the growth of pathogenic viruses, candida and bacteria
- Alleviate constipation
- Lower blood pressure and reduce tension
- Strengthen and improve heart health
If you’re recovering from alcohol abuse, the following short health quiz can help you know whether you might benefit from adding algae and seaweed to your diet:
Are any of the following common symptoms from alcohol abuse weighing you down?
- Fatigue and sluggishness
- A lack of concentration, focus and memory
- Depression, moodiness or irritability
- Digestive problems
- Joint pain and body aches
- Sinus congestion
- Chronic upper respiratory problems
If you answered “yes” to any of these, you may benefit from daily supplementation with algae.
How Algae Heals the Body
The healing properties of algae are extensive. These are some of the ways algae works to heal the body from common illnesses:
- The chlorophyll in algae cleanses the blood and allows the body to use oxygen more effectively. It neutralizes and excretes toxins. This may explain why algae consumption has been linked to lower risks of cancer, for example. Chlorophyll also delivers an abundant dose of magnesium to protect the brain and nervous system against cellular damage.
- Algae are a plentiful source of nucleic acids, such as DNA and RNA, which are responsible for controlling cellular function and heredity. Nucleic acids help restore the body’s own DNA and RNA, allowing the body to absorb and utilize nutrients more efficiently, which provides a defense against illness.
- The high essential fatty acid content in algae nourishes, protects and rebuilds healthy brain and nerve cells.
- Algae are infused with ample amounts of amino acids, which are the building blocks for the liver, adrenal glands and intestinal tract.
- The high content of B vitamins and iron in algae helps to rebuild the immune system.
- Algae contain various bioactive components, such as phycocyanin, carotenoids, y-linolenic acid, fibers and plant sterols, and these reduce bodily inflammation.
- Algae inhibit the breakdown of lipids, preventing free radical damage from toxins.
- Studies have shown that the phytonutrients and bioactive compounds in algae have antiviral, anti-tumor, antioxidant, anti-allergic, anti-diabetic and antibacterial properties.
- The abundance of biotin and copper produces radiant skin tone and color.
Clearly, algae are a wonderful alternative for anyone serious about strengthening and restoring their body from the inside out.