It’s not just your loved one with the drug or alcohol problem who needs love, connection and support on the road to lasting freedom from addiction. We understand that the journey to recovery from a drug or alcohol addiction can be hard on family members, too, whether spouses, parents, adult children, or other close relatives, and we want you to feel supported every step of the way—for as long as you need that support.
That is why we created our Wellness Program, which is a free, optional service that we offer exclusively to family members of current and former Beach House clients. Below you’ll find an overview of the program, including the research that supports it, what sets it apart, eligibility requirements, and everything you need to know in order to participate.
How the Wellness Program Can Help You and Your Loved Ones
Research has revealed that:
- Addiction is a disease of alienation, and relationships of love and connection are essential to recovery.
- Family support and involvement are associated with better treatment and recovery outcomes for people with substance use disorders (SUDs).
On the basis of this research, we developed our Wellness Program for families of Beach House clients and alumni with the following two goals in mind:
- To provide a higher level of recovery-related guidance, support and involvement to those families who need or desire it
- To strengthen communication with families, so they can have greater peace of mind and a sense of connectedness and involvement in their loved one’s recovery process
The Benefits to Participating in the Family Wellness Program
Family members who participate in the Wellness Program receive the following services from a team of empathetic and experienced Wellness Coordinators:
- A closer level of personalized guidance and support with respect to recovery-related questions and concerns as they arise
- Referrals to family support groups like Codependents Anonymous and Al-Anon and other recovery resources
- An ongoing line of communication with our Wellness Team, which can start as early as within 72 hours of your loved one’s admission to treatment and can continue after their discharge for as long as you need it
- Access to a supportive network of other Beach House families, through a private Facebook page that provides group members with recovery-related resources and opportunities to connect
What Sets Our Wellness Program Apart
Our Wellness Program is unique in the world of addiction treatment, where it’s not uncommon for families to feel excluded from a loved one’s plan of treatment. Health privacy laws do require that your loved one authorize any sharing of protected health information and give their signed consent to your participation in a program of this sort. Beach House requires a client’s signed consent, whether upon admission or at any time after, to enroll their family members in the Wellness Program.
But unlike many treatment centers that actually discourage communication with family members or the engagement of close relatives in a parallel process of recovery, Beach House firmly believes that an open line of communication and greater engagement with family can improve long-term recovery outcomes.
We also place a strong, research-based emphasis on the healing power of relationships of love and connection as the primary raw material for recovery—which shapes how we work with our families, whom we consider to be extended members of the Beach House family. Get better acquainted with our philosophy and the clinical excellence practices that we pair it with, in pursuit of optimal recovery outcomes.
How the Wellness Program Works
The Wellness Program is tailored to ensure that within 72 hours of a loved one’s admission, family members will get an introductory call from a Wellness Coordinator, followed by two calls per week thereafter—until the loved one has completed a 35 to 65-day treatment program.
At the end of their loved one’s treatment program, which naturally can be a tense and potentially scary juncture for clients and their families, family members enrolled in the Wellness Program can expect to receive a call within 72 hours of their loved one’s discharge. For the next three months after your loved one’s discharge, you will continue to receive two weekly calls from a Wellness Coordinator. They will be there to support you, answer any questions, and serve as a liaison to other recovery groups, providers and resources as you transition into this next phase of early recovery.
At the end of the first three months following treatment, a Wellness Coordinator will continue to check in with you by phone once weekly. At the six-month mark, they will reduce their call frequency to one call every two weeks, and thereafter, family members enrolled in the Wellness Program can expect to receive a call once monthly for a lifetime (or for as long as they desire).
Eligibility for the Family Wellness Program
Eligibility to participate in the Wellness Program is granted to any family member whose loved one:
- is in treatment or has completed treatment at Beach House
- has signed a consent form, (which all clients receive at the start of treatment during the admissions process), authorizing that family member’s participation in the program
There is no limit to how many family members are allowed to participate, so long as the client has given their signed permission authorizing each of the family members to participate.
Participation in the program is therefore optional. You also can enroll in the program at any time: some family members may prefer to enroll upon their loved one’s admission to treatment, while others may decide they need a higher level of guidance and support later in the journey—upon their loved one’s discharge, for example.
You can meet our admissions counselors below:
It’s undeniable that ‘family’ has a huge impact, both directly and indirectly on a loved one’s recovery. While you often hear the phrase—“you can’t choose your family,” I believe that family isn’t necessarily defined by blood. The people who are there for you through the hardships, as well as prosperity, are the people that will support, love, and cherish you and lift you up to be the best version of yourself. Those are the people you can call family.
The ability to rely on your loved ones I feel makes a difference in life. Beach House has the privilege to help the family and friends impact the lives of their struggling loved one in a healthy way. I was extremely lucky to have such positive impact from the people I love. They guided me to make better decisions in life. Being able to help others find their strengths so they can do the same thing is crucial. Thanks to Beach House, we can make that happen.
If you’re interested in learning more about Beach House Center for Recovery’s Wellness Program, Please Call 1-855-851-8754. One of our Wellness Coordinators will be happy to help you.