The Beach House family program is a one-of-a-kind recovery experience for families whose loved ones are in treatment for a drug or alcohol addiction. We recognize that the disease of addiction develops within a particular family system, and is, in this sense, a family disease. Similarly, we know that in most cases a client’s lasting freedom from addiction demands the participation of their family in the healing and recovery process. In fact, studies have shown that clients who enjoy the help of a strong family support system have a stronger chance at lasting recovery.
Typical substance abuse treatment programs will focus exclusively on the needs of the client, as the one identified “patient” in need of treatment and recovery. Our family therapy program broadens the scope of drug and alcohol treatment to include not just the client but family members and loved ones as well. Within this framework, the “patient” in need of treatment and recovery is the family itself.
Intensive Family Therapy Workshop
As part of its pledge to help clients find freedom from addiction through people, purpose, and passion, Beach House has designed a unique, intensive, three-day workshop experience for the families of our clients. Led and facilitated by our licensed, on-site family therapists, this workshop takes place at our Palm Beach County, Florida rehab center, in the idyllic, seaside setting of Juno Beach, just steps from a nature preserve and a short walk from the beach.
We make this intensive workshop experience available to families once monthly. In three days of learning, sharing, growth and healing, participating families receive the following benefits:
- A peaceful, retreat-like setting just steps from a beach preserve in which they can unwind and reflect
- Unparalleled access to a wide array of resources for recovery, thanks both to our location in Palm Beach County, Florida (which as a leading center for recovery in the nation hosts some 400 recovery-related meetings each day) and to the extensive, national referral networks our certified family therapists provide
- Group and family processing of anger, grief and other emotions related to a loved one’s substance abuse, and tips for how to manage and respond to these emotions
- Training in how to assert healthy boundaries, including what families can and can’t do to encourage a loved one’s successful recovery
- Tips for improving communication and interpersonal interactions between family members
- The chance to meet with their loved one in rehab at our center and try out some of what they’ve learned
Family Therapy Program — Other Distinguishing Features
The intensive therapy workshop experience is one distinguishing feature of our family program, but there are other ways in which our family program offers unique benefits to Beach House clients and their families:
- Three, on-site clinicians licensed in family therapy
- A seasoned program coordinator with years of firsthand experience walking with families (including his own) through recovery — and a deep passion for helping families find freedom from addiction
- An inclusive understanding of family that welcomes non-traditional families into the treatment and recovery process
- Access to the expertise of our staff as early as the family intervention process
- Integration of family therapy goals in a client’s overall plan of treatment
- A large network of family therapy referrals nationwide, for families seeking long-term therapy help
- Ongoing family therapy follow-ups as needed, during both continuing and after care